Sunday, September 20, 2026

Why Goals Alone Don’t Work


Most people approach growth like this:

Step 1: Set a goal (”I want to make $100K”)

Step 2: Work really hard

Step 3: Hope it happens

Result: It doesn’t. Or it happens briefly, then you slide back.

Here’s why that doesn’t work:

Goals are about outcomes. But outcomes are driven by behaviors. And behaviors are driven by identity.

The hierarchy looks like this:

Identity → Beliefs → Behaviors → Results

Your identity determines what you believe is possible and natural for you.

Your beliefs determine what actions you take (or avoid).

Your actions determine your results.

If you only focus on goals (results) without changing identity, you’re fighting upstream against who you believe you are.

Example:

Goal: “I want to make $150K this year.”

But your identity says: “I’m not really a businessperson. I’m just a person trying to help people.”

Belief that flows from that identity: “Aggressive selling feels inauthentic. Real success happens organically.”

Behaviors that flow from that belief: You avoid asking for the sale. You don’t follow up persistently. You undersell your value.

Result: You make $70K. Again.

The goal failed because it conflicted with your identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment